Sunday, April 21, 2013

This is my f*cking blog!

Count me among the masses relieved to read that the F.C.C. would not come down hard on David Ortiz of the Boston Red Sox for that little speech he gave before Saturday's game.

With the lockdown over, the second alleged Boston Marathon bomber captured and the games allowed to go on once again, Ortiz addressed the crowd at Fenway Park and told them, "This jersey that we wear today, it doesn't say 'Red Sox,' it says 'Boston.' We want to thank you Mayor Menino, Governor Patrick, the whole police department for the great job they did this past week. This is our f*cking city."

After all Boston had been through in the last week, Ortiz gave them a reason to finally smile and laugh again.

And maybe, for once, Big Brother understood how important that was to the people there. Because the F.C.C. chairman, Julius Genachowski, actually posted on Twitter Saturday afternoon,
"David Ortiz spoke from the heart at today's Red Sox game. I stand with Big Papi and the people of Boston." So apparently, there will be no fine for that little faux pas.

Good.

Perhaps it means that this country is finally released from the puritanical grip on our culture that has seen a television network fined $550,000 because Janet Jackson exposed a nipple during the Super Bowl and words become more feared than guns. As if the mere utterance was somehow going to traumatize our youth.

Hey, it never ruined me and I can guarantee I heard it regularly. George Carlin's seven words you can never say on television? Dinner conversation.

I grew up in a house free from censorship. And look what that daily exposure to supposedly filthy language has wrought. Now I'm a journalist fortunate enough to write regularly for The New York Times.

I only wish someday I could slip a little expletive or two into a story. Just once. What do you say, editors?

OK, maybe not.

But you know what? This is my blog and I'm going to write whatever the fuck I want here.

You can follow me on Twitter @viv_bernstein
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment